Friday, January 30, 2009

And the Journey Begins!

I've made it to Guatemala!  My biggest concern was what would my family be like?  They are great!  And the school is too so far, even though classes do not start until Monday!

I arrived in Guatemala City.  Raquel from Casa Xelaju met me and drove me to the bus station and got my ticket.  She told me the bus ride would be 4 to 5 hours!  whew. . . didn't realize it was that far.  She was so kind though, she had brought me some fruit for a snack.  She made sure I was all set and then left.  The bus station was more of a bus on the side of the road and a counter.  I took pictures, but will have to figure out where to post so you can see what I've done.  Likely my picassa account?  

It was an interesting bus ride.  Long, bumpy and cold.  I still managed to sleep as I was pretty tired from my week of 12 hour days moving and trying to leave the country.  And then I got up today at 4 am.  The time is the same. . . so it is almost midnight as I write this.  And for that it will be short!  The ride was beautiful, but the roads were not.  They are trying to work on them so it was switchback turns to go up to Xela (approximately 7600ft elevation).  The bus driver took them quite fast, which made for an interesting ride or sometimes a wake up call just in case you had nodded off.  And it rattled like the tire irons in the back of my jeep on Easter Island, I had the same immediate thought. . . dirt/gravel roads with bumps or holes all in them and constant rattling.  It was great though.  I was the only gringo on the bus.  I loved watching the countryside.  And since we didn't leave until 3 pm, I got to watch the sunset and it was spectacular.  Then it was dark and you could watch as the valley lit up like the stars had fallen from the sky into the valley.  And we were finally home to Xela.  And at a very similar bus station.

Jaime (pronounced Hi-me) from Casa Xelaju and Lewis met me and brought me to the family where I am staying.  The mother's name is Esperanza (which means Hope--I like that and it is the name of the orphanage in Peru) and the father is Geraldo.  They have 2 sons -- Ronnie (19) and Jason (21).  There are 3 other students here.  One is from South Korea and then a couple from Canada.  We had dinner together and then I joined them very briefly in town to meet one of their teacher's at a local hangout.  I enjoyed their company and they were able to fill me in on the language schools (they are attending a different one) and the family we are staying with.  The house is nice.  It is like a hollow square.  Our rooms are all upstairs.  There is a den with a TV downstairs and the cocina (sp?--Kitchen) where we eat is also downstairs and the bano.  I got a lesson from Esperanza on the hot water which is tricky.  You turn it too far and it is cold.  It is COLD in Xela right now. . . I am bundled up in long johns, my silk sheet and then their sheets and bed linens, and blankets and a comforter.  Tonight the others were all talking about how cold it is in the mornings.  But Graham's teacher said in a week or so it will warm up. . . we'll see.  The last minute packing of long johns is a lifesaver so far!

The couple from Canada is leaving on Sunday, but the other student is staying for a few more weeks.  He has been here a while and seen several other students come and go. The food is good, the family is so kind, but doesn't speak much if any English.   So, it is a pretty good option so far.  I am very pleased.   Another answered prayer that my home would be good and that I would find nice people to be with!

Even as I lie in bed and type this, the part that is out of the covers is getting cold. . . my arms. . . and I am so tired!  So, until later this weekend, Adios!  

Thank you for praying me safely here, for a fabulous family and for all of your prayers!  Keep them coming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alleen - sounds like day one was another great adventure. It will be fun to keep up with you - take care and hope you're warm today. Liz P.

Grace G said...

So glad you made it and that your living situation and family are good! Hope language school is wonderful!

Deborah said...

Miss Alleen-I am glad that you made a good choice. Being a missionary is a important job. I hope you like it being a missionary. I and all of my family will pray for you every night. Please keep writing on your blog. I might be a missionary when I grow up too. Please teach the kids in Peru about God. Love, Sanders O.