Thursday, August 26, 2010

Flashback to my Prior Life

I had a flashback recently into my prior life when I was asked to make a presentation at the Colegio de Abogados en Trujillo.  This is the equivalent to the Bar Association for lawyers of Trujillo.  I had been asked before and did not have time and was not comfortable with my Spanish.   The third time they asked, I still do not know my legal vocabulary in Spanish, but was more comfortable with my general Spanish and decided to say, Yes!  Well, upon 1 condition; I wanted to speak in English.  I was told not to worry, I could speak in English.  So, it was set.

The entire process was interesting from beginning to end--including the formal letter requesting my presence, the flyers and posters with my name on them, to the formality of the evening.  When I arrived, I was surprised to see about 100 people there.  It was a great turnout.  I was the last speaker of the evening. I was ushered to the front where I sat at a table with 2 older gentlemen ( one who I later found out was the president of the association).  While we listened to the speaker before me finish his talk, one of the people who had arranged for me to speak and was also at the table leaned over to say, "I think it is better if you speak in Spanish without a translator."  Hmmm, what to say at this point?  It is not as if we can have a real discussion about this.  I agree to try and she says she will be there if I need any help with technical words, etc.  So this should be interesting!

I did the majority and almost all of the talk in Spanish.  Once or twice I tried to switch to English to make it easier and to be sure I was understood.  Unfortunately, my "translator" did not understand enough English. . . my Spanish was better than her English.  So, she would translate, but it would not be what I had said.  I understood enough Spanish to know that what she was saying was not what I said!  So, I quickly went back to Spanish and just asked her for the technical legal vocabulary I needed.  Needless to say, it was an interesting speech!

Before my talk, I was invited to be an honorary member of the Bar and received a huge medal.  It was pretty neat.  And after my talk, I realized this was their swearing in as the new lawyers came forward and repeated the oath of a lawyer and then received their medals (much smaller I might mention--:)).  And then we all took photos together.  I had a few ask to have a photo made with just me also.  It was really interesting.  Also at this point I realize I was basically their main speaker and couldn't help but think, "I wish I had known this before!"  I would have definitely changed my talk and done more of a keynote speaker address.

Overall, it was a good evening.  I enjoyed it despite the mix up of not telling me in advance I'd not have a translator.   Everyone was very nice and gracious.  They invited me to write for the magazine also.  At a minimum, I have a much better idea about the organization and will be able to contribute better the next time I am asked.  And it opened up a new group of people to try and form relationships with and let them know about our work here in Trujillo. 

As with many things in our lives, God used this to work on my sanctification.  Recently I had recognized that I had fallen into the poor habit of thinking I can do my job here and work and live on my own. . . apart from total dependence upon God.  This is a dangerous place to be.  He definitely humbled me and brought me back to His side where I belong!  It was only through His grace and mercy that I could give a speech in Spanish that I had prepared in English.  And I enjoyed the foray back into my prior life of a lawyer, even if just for one night.

New lawyers being sworn in.



A champagne toast at the end (sorry for the photo--best I got)



Me and the president of the Bar as I sign the equivalent of a guestbook.

1 comment:

Legends from the Library said...

wow alleen! That is so cool!