Thursday, May 5, 2011

World's Worst Blogger

I could win this title hands down. I always have such great ambitions and ideas, but never the time. There are other blogs I read and they are so energetic, funny, informative, and I think, "How do they do it all?" Guess blogging is just not my spiritual gift. Being stubborn, however, is something I am good at and so I shall perservere to try and redeem myself at blogging and sharing what is happening my corner of the world.

After Easter, I left with our Fellows for an end of the year trip to the jungle. We studied Galations each day and it was really encouraging to see the growth in these young people over the course of the past 10 months. And inspiring to see God use the problems of a church thousands of years ago to still speak truth in our lives today. What a savoir! And of course, it was hard to ignore His glory as we explored another part of his creation. Seventy percent (70%) of Peru is jungle and we went to the heart of it -- Iquitos.

This was a fabulous trip to get away from the hustle and bustle of Trujillo and after a 10 hour bus, full day in Lima, 2 hour flight, and then finally 2 hours on a boat, find ourselves in a jungle lodge to use as a base for exploring--and explore we did! The water was extremely high. It was rainy season, but even so, it was higher than normal. Every 3 or 4 years, there is a really "high" rainy season and we got to see that. I had been on a trip similar to this before and some places I had walked were now under 20 feet of water; it was surreal and beautiful.

Sunset on the Amazon River.

Hanging out watching the world (or gringos in this case) go by.

Or just playing with the family pet, a sloth.


Daily excursions through the jungle in our boats were fun!

And often ended up with surprises like this hidden lake.

When the water gets high, just build a float for your chickens.

Alligator anyone? Cute isn't he?

The pink flowers on this tree were brilliant among the dark green jungle.

Who knew there could be so many shades of green?

We were lucky to have such great days during rainy season.

And we got to see the BIG lilly pads!

But the best part of the trip overall had to be spending time with these great guys!

No comments: